BBQ Accessories and BBQ Tools that will make your barbecue the best it can be!
No matter what kind of BBQ you have, there will always be ways to improve it, addons that put it above the rest. That’s where BBQ accessories come in!
BBQ accessories can range from things that help you cook to things that make your BBQ work better, and even accessories that add a touch of style. Every accessory gives a unique effect to your barbecue, all of which is a way of making your next BBQ a great experience.
Why Use BBQ Accessories?
BBQ accessories have a wide range of uses, it often depends on what you need or want to add to your BBQ experience. Overall, BBQ accessories fall into several categories including
- Cooking – Things to assist your cooking experience
- Fuel – Things to keep your BBQ going strong
- Utensils – Tools and equipment, often handheld, making grilling great
What Kinds of BBQ Accessories are there?
There are so many things you can add to your BBQ, no matter what BBQ you have to begin with. You could have splurged and gotten a true beast of a BBQ set, or gone for something smaller, more manageable and cheaper, and for each, there will be an abundance of accessories for you to choose from.
To help make it clearer, We’ve separated them into a few sections so you can easily search for what you need, or want, to add to your BBQ experience:
Our top 6 BBQ Accessories for Cooking
Some of the best types of equipment are ones that the BBQ you bought doesn’t even have to begin with. Depending on your BBQ, you could go from grilling a few small burgers, to a massive variety of different and delicious foods. You could gain plenty of new features, all of which can help make your life as the grill master much easier. Check out the six best cooking accessories:
- A BBQ Pizza Stone is great at cooking a large variety of foods, from homemade BBQ Pizza to Steaks, a Ceramic BBQ Pizza Stone has you covered. They are not only easy to use but also great fun to practise new and exciting recipes on, for your family or all your friends.
- If there’s one thing grill masters can’t get enough of, it’s extra space. Added BBQ Grill Racks are often important additions to your BBQ set. The scenario plays out like this. You’ve hosted your first couple of BBQs, and they were a hit! Now you are preparing for your next big event, but the number of people who would want to come, as well as those you want to invite for the first time, is too much for the BBQ set you’ve got. That’s when you need more grill space, and what better way than to fill the gap with a high-quality BBQ Grill Rack?
- Grill Baskets are exciting ways of combining grill racks and hand-guided grilling uniquely. They can easily be mounted on certain models, controlled to give a great sear on either side, as well as hand-held for more specific cooks if necessary. They also work particularly well when grilling certain foods, like whole fish. When building your collection of barbecuing accessories, these are a must-have!
- Bluetooth bbq thermometers are incredibly useful gadgets for BBQs, especially for the true grill masters who want to perfect their recipes for their soon-to-be-famous foods. It’s not just for the super chefs though, these items can help any BBQ enthusiast make top-quality food. Some of the best BBQ thermometers can set you back a fair sum, but often they are really useful. We have one, and with its help, any meat we cook has been made to perfection each time, making even cheap cuts taste delicious!
- BBQ Woks are something that not many people, nor BBQs, have, but that are becoming more and more popular recently and for good reason! Having a wok with your BBQ is the go-to frying pan for mixed dishes, and this makes it perfect for adding Asian-inspired dishes to your Saturday night BBQ. Fried vegetables in a Honey and Soy glaze are one of our favourite sides to a rich steak. It’s a classic BBQ meat with an Asian-style side! This is not the only thing BBQ Woks are good for. They are kings of variety, you can fry just about anything in them. They are a great addition to any BBQ set!
- Rotisserie kits are a true classic of the BBQ world, and many BBQ sets do not come with one already provided. These versatile accessories come in many different sizes, and can attach easily to their corresponding BBQ size with ease, allowing for a quick set-up, and an easy cook! They are a huge help when it comes to large meats, like cooking a whole turkey, or kebabs for example. Keep in mind that rotisseries vary in size, and not all can handle a large whole turkey. Otherwise, getting a Rotisserie kit for your BBQ is worth a try!
The Best BBQ Accessory
Our favourite cooking accessory that will add to your BBQ experience is the Meater Block wireless meat thermometer.
This is one of the best BBQ Thermometers and is connected to an app on your phone that has information on any meat you wish to cook. You put in the details, place the thermometer in the meat, and get to grilling. Though it is a little pricey, one setting you back near £100, we can guarantee that it cooks any meats to absolute perfection every time. We’ve had it for over a year now and it has never failed us.
There are more than just the accessories that help you cook, but the many different things that can enhance your cook. Some of these options will bring a great variety of flavour to your dish, many being new and exciting to try for the first time, including dry rubs, garnishes, sauces, and so on.
In particular, BBQ Seasonings that are new and unique can give style to the whole BBQ party you are hosting. There are loads of options that go well with loads of different recipes. Alternatively, if you are looking for inspiration for your recipe, checking out some of these flavours will help get your noggin jogging, and help you create a delicacy in no time. Some of our favourites sauces, seasonings and rubs are
- Scotch Bonnet Hot Ketchup
- Prime Rib Dry Rub
- Texas Spicy BBQ Sauce
- Soy and Honey Sauce Mix
- Tandoori Seasoning
- Garlic and Herb Seasoning
- Sweet Chilli and Garlic Sauce
As you can see, there are loads of different options just there, but there are loads more rubs, mixes, seasoning and sauces out there. Take a look here to see a bunch of great seasonings to try out today!
Fueling our BBQs is an important part of the setup process, and getting the right fuel, the right containers, and the right extras is essential for cooking properly. We all know that, when using a charcoal BBQ, the fuel is a crucial part of the grilling process and can make or break your food, and this is a key difference between charcoal and gas barbecues.
With charcoal barbecues, there are many different varieties of charcoal on offer, but also factors with each on storage, price per kilo, quality of the charcoal, and more. With gas barbecues, there is no variety like there is for charcoal. This is reflected in accessories, as there aren’t any to enhance the cook, but only to keep you safe and ensure no gas leak.
Gas supply is crucial for those BBQs that use it. We all know the dangers of gas tanks, but it goes beyond that. You don’t want a bad quality hose, for example, messing with your cook.
There is another area to barbecuing that we all have heard of, and something that all BBQing enthusiasts can agree on, smoking makes a big difference. When smoking, fuel is the most important part of the whole process. What type of wood you use can completely change the flavour of the meat. Therefore there are tons of types of wood to choose from to craft the flavour you want. Some accessories come with this specifically as well.
- Charcoal BBQs are quite reliant on having the right kind of fuel, light in the right way, and managed correctly too. If your BBQ has charcoal that heats up quickly, you can burn your meat, ruining the all-important part of the party, the food. Just the same, if your Charcoal heats slower, you can end up with hungry guests waiting longer than they wish for your food. That’s why it’s important to get the right kind of charcoal, not just any odd stuff, but quality brands such as Alderline Charcoal. There are several types to get, including instant lighting charcoal, charcoal briquettes, or high-quality branded charcoals like Alderline.
- Gas supplies are the most important out of all fueling products. You need to make sure you buy quality parts to ensure both a good cook and your safety. Regulators, Hoses, BBQ fittings, everything down to the clips you use should be checked before use. Once all this is sorted, however, cooking with a Gas BBQ is a smooth process. They are easily controlled to produce a well-managed and excellent result, scrumptious BBQ food! A great place to get all the equipment you need is the BBQ Shop, they have more specifics on this important topic
- Smoking is a growing passion for many BBQ enthusiasts, as well as people new to the BBQ world. Thanks to several YouTubers who show the process and the delicious results, more people than ever are interested in starting. If you have your smoker and are wondering what woods to get, always choose quality over price, it will make the difference! There are a bunch of different types of BBQ Smoking Chips, but Jack Daniel’s Whiskey Barrel Smoking Chips are a great start to experimenting with flavours of smoking, but there are many varieties out there from a growing industry, and more are sure to come!
Best Fuel Type
With Fuels, I’m focussing on the most common and the classic way to BBQ anything, with charcoal.
It often depends on the quality of charcoal, being how long it can burn, the speed of the grilling, the heat of the burn, and the bargain you get per KG of charcoal. With these three factors in mind, we believe the best Charcoal for BBQing is a toss-up between Whittle and Flame’s Ash Charcoal and The Green Olive’s premium professional lump wood charcoal.
- Whittle and Flame’s Ash Charcoal is brilliant charcoal for people who wish to expand upon the flavours the charcoal can give your meats. They are one of the best single wood species producers and have a whole variety of woods to choose from. This is helped by the small size of their bags (being 4kg), meaning you can bulk buy a variety of different charcoal to test with.
- The Green Olive’s charcoal however is better, and by a long way, when it comes to the quality of the burn, the burn time, and pricing. Though it isn’t known for its flavour-inducing cook, it is known by others as the leading charcoal for both large cooks and long cooks. It makes this brand the perfect choice for larger BBQ parties. You can buy their charcoal in bags of 12kg, and often for a very good price, especially when bulk buying. That however is only useful when you have the space, which is more necessary with this brand unlike the more compact Whittle and Flame’s choices.
BBQ Utensils, Tools and Gadgets
High-quality BBQ Utensils are often the pride of a grill master. They are an important part of the process when making your meals, and when gotten right will make your whole BBQ easier. When it comes to Utensils and other such (usually hand-held) tools, there’s quite a large variety of choices, especially between different makes of the same type of tool. Don’t worry, we’ve got a list of our favourite tools for the up-and-coming grill masters, so there’s no need to go trawling through the internet for the right tool for you. Our favourite items are:
- Grilljoy 6PC Heavy Duty BBQ Set – This small set of reliable and well-made tools comes with long-term reliability as a standard. Included in it are rubber-grip tongs, a fork, a serrated spatula (with a built-in bottle opener) and a cleaning brush with a spare brush head included. They are all dishwasher safe and come with a convenient storage bag.
- Tramontina BBQ Utensil Set – This is a well-rated set, of stainless steel blades with FSC-certified wooden handles. Yes, they are dishwasher safe, yes, they are heat proof, and what’s more? They come with free delivery. No wonder they are rated 5-stars.
- Traeger – BBQ Shears – these specialised bbq scissors are made with a titanium coating on the blades making them much tougher than even your strongest set of scissors at home. With a non-slip grip for precise cuts, these shears will make your life that much easier!
- Ooni Cast Iron Grizzler Pan – This grilling pan is high-quality cast iron, from the makers of some of the best pizza ovens. This pan leaves distinctive grill marks and is excellent for searing both meat and vegetables. It even has a detachable handle!
- Tramontina Churrasco Carving Knife – This BBQ carving knife is an excellent addition to your tools set. Its long handle and premium knife allow for an easy-cutting experience, something a normal kitchen knife will not have. The long handle also ensures you have enough distance from the meat to cut without burning your hand.
Though there are many utensils we’ve already listed, we saved one of the best for last. The Napoleon Meat Tenderiser – 55204.
This little handheld tool is an excellent grab for any BBQ enthusiast. Using this on your prime cuts of meat to make them that much better is always a good thing, with its 48 blades, sturdy make and easy grip, both using this, and eating what you used this on, is a delight.
We’ve already gone over a whole lot of BBQ accessories in the sections above, but when it comes to BBQ accessories, many items don’t quite fit into the sections above. These extras are unique items, maybe new entirely, often small, and something to show your friends to impress them!
New and unique BBQ Utensils are some of the most exciting things to get, either for yourself or for your BBQ fanatic friend. So why not take a look at our favourite few BBQ Extras, and see if there are any gift-worthy items here, whether for a friend or yourself:
- The Cancool, a Canned drinks holder that utilised the natural coolness of the ground to keep all your drinks cool. You insert a pipe into the ground and have a second pipe that holds the drinks in it, which can slide out for easy access to your drinks. This was only recently created, with the company starting back in 2017, so it’s brand new in the BBQing world. Cool idea or what?
- SUOXU magnetic bottle opener, an awesome little gadget that makes opening any of your bottles both easier and cool to see. You can show your friends and watch their hilarious reactions!
- Meat Claws, an awesome way to emulate wolverine while shredding some meat, what’s not to love? Other than being straight-up fun, these claws can help shred tender meats to split and share among your friends.
Our favourite and the new, idea is a cool way you can make your BBQ kit look awesome, particularly at night, by applying colour-changing LED strips to it. This can give a neat, sci-fi feel to the BBQ, whilst providing light to help you see what you are doing around the BBQ itself. These LED Strips are quite cheap, and for the awesome look they will give your BBQ Kit, or the surrounding BBQ area for that matter, will leave guests impressed!
Overall, there are a huge amount of BBQ Accessories, of all varieties, out there. From fascinating flavours to unique utensils, and everything in between. When it comes to the best of these accessories, the final choice is with you, the reader. It all depends on what you need, and what stands out to you as the best idea. All the recommended best items in this article were not just recommendations from one person, but often a whole group of people who had written about the item. Some of the most widely recommended items were the two charcoal types, which had no end of rave reviews. Personal testing supported them, and now this article is part of the crowd praising their names from the rooftops.
Ultimately, it is your choice, but hopefully, this article has made the choice a bit clearer for you, and hopefully, we have given you some new ideas as well to make your BBQ the best BBQ it can be!