- 10 mins
- 15 mins
- 16 Fresh Asparagus Spears
- 4 Slices of Prosciutto
- 4 Slices of Cheese (Try Gruyere)
- 2 tbsp Lemon Powder
- 2 tbsp Garlic Powder
- 60 ml Balsamic Vinegar
- Clean and prepare the barbecue, pre-heating to a medium/high heat (230C) and set up for direct cooking. Lay a slice of prosciutto ham on your working surface.
- Place a slice of cheese on the prosciutto and sprinkle ½ tablespoon of lemon pepper and ½ tablespoon of garlic powder over the entire length of prosciutto/cheese. Place 4 spears of asparagus approximately 1" from the end of the prosciutto closest to you. Alternate the tips of the asparagus.
- Pick up the prosciutto closest to you and begin to wrap it over the asparagus. With your other hand, grip the asparagus to keep it tight and continue rolling up the entire bundle. Keep the bundle as tightly wrapped as possible so that it remains in place whilst it is cooking. Secure the bundle with a toothpick inserted in the centre, from one side through to the other. Continue the steps with the remaining asparagus spears.
- Place the asparagus bundles in a 9 x 13 glass dish (or a thick plastic freezer bag). Pour the balsamic vinegar evenly over all bundles. Cover and allow the asparagus to marinate in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
- When you are ready to barbecue, place the bundles on the pre-heated grill over a direct heat. Close the lid and wait 5 for minutes. Lift the lid and check the bottom of a bundle for grill marks, and to see if the cheese is beginning to melt. If so, turn the bundles very gently with barbecue tongs.
- Close the lid and wait for another 5 minutes. Lift the lid, and if the prosciutto is becoming crispy and the cheese is melting nicely, remove the bundles to a serving tray. Cover with aluminium foil until you are ready to serve. Now sit back and enjoy!