- 45 mins
- 5 mins
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 large onion (finely chopped)
- 1 pumpkin (peeled and cubed)
- 1 tin of cannelini beans (drained)
- 180g butter beans
- 750 ml chicken stock
- 325g sweetcorn
- Using a large pan on the BBQ, heat the olive oil and cook the onions until soft.
- Stir in the cubed pumpkin and beans then pour over the chicken stock.
- Cover on the BBQ and cook on a low heat for about 45 minutes, until the pumpkin starts to fall apart.
- During the last few minutes stir in the sweetcorn, basil and chopped chilli, and serve in a bowl with grilled pitta.
Recommended drinks to go with your meal
Courtesy of Mr Drink 'N' Eat
The stew is rich, sweet and decadent, so choosing a beverage that will either cut through or stand up to it will be the best bet.
If you prefer white then I would try something like new world Viognier or lightly oaked Chardonnay. Another option would be white Bordeaux if you like your wines more herbaceous, or a decent, chunky Spanish Rosado could work as well. For Reds there are many options from all over that would, but I would lean towards bold, spicy bottles from from the Languedoc in France, Puglia in Italy or Southern Spain.
Pumpkin ale makes the most sense and there are a few seasonal ones around this time of year. Choose something rich and darker in hue, but stay away from heavily hopped US-style beers as I feel they would clash with the stew’s creaminess. If you like your beers darker you could opt for Porter, but choose one with not too high alcohol by volume.
A herbal tea, such as Rooibos, would be very nice, or something cleansing such as peppermint would taste good too.