- 25 mins
- 20 mins
- 2 Garlic Cloves (minced)
- 3 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Medium Onion (diced)
- 1 Leek (finely chopped)
- 1 Carrot (sliced)
- 1 large Baking Potato (cubed)
- 1 Parsnip (diced)
- 700 ml Vegetable Stock
- Handful of fresh Spinach or Rocket leaves
- Pinch of Fresh Parsley
- Put 3 tablespoons of oil into a large, deep sauce pot over the BBQ on medium heat and add the onion, leek, and carrot. Stir until the onion softens, which should take around 5 minutes.
- Add the remaining vegetables (not leaves) and sprinkle generously with salt and pepper. Allow to cook, stirring, for a minute or two, then add the stock and bring to a boil. Lower the heat so the mixture bubbles gently, stirring regularly. Once you feel the vegetables soften, add the spinach or rocket leaves and parsely.
- Leave bubbling gently for another 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Ladle into large mugs or bowls and top with lightly toasted croutons and a sprinkle of grated, smoky cheese.
(Tip: Why not add some small chunks of pre-grilled diced beef steak or chicken breast for a meaty addition to your soup at stage 1?)